Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My Voice


The day my voice died,
I didn't notice it, but I must have wanted it
Really badly since my mouth
Got me into to trouble all the time. 


You see- silence was a virtue.

So I embraced the virtuous life,
I remained without a voice for a long time,
And I wanted everyone to celebrate my sacrifice.

But no one cared,
Beyond attaching labels
And pegging me,
In their mental space.

And so I became Fat and Indian,
I was the girl who Loved Wine, who Reads a lot,
I was Boring, Pedantic and sometimes invisible.
I thought the labels made me fit in.


But I was mostly fat and or sad.
Everyone seemed obsessed with that.
I was okay with it though,

I just assumed I was easygoing that way.

Until one too many rejections,
One too many assumptions,
And one too many hurts,
Made my silence start to grate.

Why should I be mute,
In the face of self-imposed restrictions
Why should I be mute,
For every body else’s acceptance

So I opened my mouth and
I started to talk again,
And hoarse as my voice sounded,
It was the sweetest sound I ever heard.

Now, I will not stand by silent,
While you judge me erroneously.
You see, I have my voice back,
And I will say my piece.

I am not fat, and I am not thankful,
That people deign to love me "despite the way I look".
I am a magnificent, strong, and powerful woman,
And don't you forget it.

Naysayers and Gossip Mongers,
You have 5 counts,
To get the hell away
Before my fist meets your face. 

The sacrifice days are over.

~deviousDiv

3 comments:

Vidhya Logendran said...

https://www.facebook.com/notes/varun-ram-iyer/marry-a-girl-who-iyer-version-with-traditional-values/10151667943258665

Vidhya Logendran said...

https://www.facebook.com/notes/varun-ram-iyer/marry-a-girl-who-iyer-version-with-traditional-values/10151667943258665

deviousdiv said...

Hahaha that made my eyes water reading, but boy it was hilarious. :P