Monday, June 11, 2012

Am I FOREIGN?

Since my attempts at starting a new religion and becoming a new age messiah have fallen flat on its virtual arse, the time has come for me to move on to other pursuits. SO I shall move on to things that I do best.

Whining about things that annoy the hell out of me every now and then.

At lunch today, an erstwhile lift commuter asked me if I was born in Singapore. When I answered 'no I was born in India', I was asked if I was Indian. When I said "No I'm Singaporean", I was met with a puzzled stare.

Oh for god's sake, you live in a bloody cosmopolitan country. Haven't you heard of people changing citizenship? Although to be very frank, it could have been the look you bestow upon an unwanted 'foreign talent'.

I've never quite thought of myself like that you know, as 'foreign talent'.

After all, I'm hardly Ms. Talent, and I most definitely see myself as 'local'. I imagine that 12 years in the Singapore school system singing Majulah Singapura every morning can have an impact on the way you define yourself. The thing is, intellectually, I know that I'm an immigrant. But I don't remember actually coming to Singapore, since I was one year old at that time.

But Summer vacations in India and my many roots in India in the form of family, grandparents and other sanctimonious friends of the family also mean that I do feel quite Indian too. Is it normal to feel an attachment to two countries? Or three in the future, if I moved into another country?

And more importantly, where do I fit in?

I'm a racial minority in a country full of chinese people.
I'm a body minority in a country full of thin people.
I'm an origin minority in a country full of citizens born in Singapore.
All I need for the list to be complete is to be a sexual minority.

I wonder how a nation full of people like me would be like- a bunch of fat immigrants who feel an alien sense of loyalty towards this nation we migrated to.

Now hang on a minute... that sounds an awful lot like the USA.

*rushes off to pack bags*

~ deviousDiv



1 comment:

icyHighs said...

LOL That USA dig was a bit harsh.
:)

You're not alone on the conflicted-loyalty front. I think we're going to see more and more of it too. I hope they some day do away with the idea of nationality as a whole. Till then, let's just be 'foreigners' who love the country they're in as much as their 'motherland'.